Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Seed Was Planted

Movies like Food Inc. and The Future of Food, while completely enlightening, can also come with a serious side effect of trauma and paranoia in a small percentage of people who consume them. Unfortunately, I am one of those people. While my husband was back to scarfing down microwavable beef burritos a week after watching said movies, I continue to have a panic attack each time the automatic doors slide open at the grocery store. For a year now, my weekly foray into grocery shopping has become a dreaded roller coaster ride of emotion based on having to identify genetically modified ingredients, organic labels, free range this, naturally raised that. Ugh. I can feel my heart begin to race and palms start to sweat just thinking about it. Since I've undoubtedly shaved a few years off my life with the physiological damage that occurs during these two hours each week, I have finally decided it's time to find a way out of the madness of corporate controlled food.

A quick search of the web led me to a community supported agriculture farm outside of Dallas. Shocked that Dallas has something as progressive as a CSA to offer, I signed us up right away. Admittedly, I did have a moment of buyer's remorse upon hearing my husband's deep, yet unsurprised sigh over spending an untold amount of money on produce this year. Not to mention that most of the funds are due before receiving even the first leaf of lettuce. And that's where the challenge of a CSA commitment comes in. Will we be able to nibble our way through a 48-quart cooler of expensive and beautifully organic produce every 6 days before the next week's delivery comes in? Will we get beaten down by this fibrous culinary challenge? Most of all, will we ever be able to convince our 4-year old daughter and 2-year old son that mustard greens can be gleeful and little red radishes don't have to make you cry?

No comments:

Post a Comment