Thursday, July 7, 2011

Week 7: Ants on a Log

So this post is only partly about ants on a log, the super fun name grown-ups created to coerce little children into eating peanut butter, celery and raisins. It's a great idea in theory but children are just so much smarter than we give them credit for. By any name, a celery stick is still green, fibrous and raw. And in the case of Week 7's celery, tough as nails. The celery was petite and just ripening for springtime, so Farmer Gene gave us the disclaimer that it would need to be soaked for an hour or so to soften before eating. I shrugged off this warning, of course, and merrily made my children ants on a log and presented them on adorable plates as the most exciting snack ever. Not so much. My son used his as teething toys and my daughter licked the peanut butter and craisins right off the top of hers, leaving the lonely celery stalks on her plate. I understood when I tasted them - they were completely tough and inedible, just as Farmer Gene promised. No doubt, my children thought me a trickster and a fraud once again (case in point: kale chips).

The saving grace of this story is that we had the celery as a side dish to possibly the best sandwich in the history of mankind. I understand those are fighting words, but taste this via the world wide web if you can: freshly baked and buttered rustic bread, the softest brie cheese and thinly sliced, crisp apples all melted together panini style. Paired with cold white wine, this will be my last supper if I have any say in the situation. I will, however, be leaving the ants on a log for the kids.


Ants on a log with brie and apple paninis.

No comments:

Post a Comment