Thursday, May 19, 2011

Week 4: Cauliflower & Salmon

As it turns out, Wednesdays weren't done with us yet. An ill-fated therapy shuffle meant we had a 5pm OT appointment and didn't get home until way too late to cook dinner. I envisioned our produce wilting away in the fridge and was feeling a bit grim. Enter magnificent hubby once again. When grumpy mama and her two hungry tots walked through the door, we were greeted by plates of baked salmon with roasted cauliflower and onions. It sounds simple, but this lovely meal was an anecdote to the snakebite that the week had become.

With fear of sounding like a broken record, Farmer Gene's cauliflower was staggering. Staggering sounds a bit extravagant, I understand, but I'd be lying if I didn't say that this cauliflower was so hearty on the stalk that I shuttered at the thought of eating it. It was so muscular, so alive, and so radiant with energy that eating it almost felt like a violation. I did eat it, of course. I ate as much as I possibly could and wanted for more when it was all gone. I really wish that the rest of the world could enjoy the fruits of Farmer Gene's labor, but that's only an option for the 72 families who hit the jackpot in DFW. But if you're feeling up for your own summer food adventure, check out Local Harvest –– a great place to find a farmer's market or CSA in your community. Happy eating!





No comments:

Post a Comment