Thursday, May 26, 2011

Week 5: Turnip & Chard Frittata

Two things should be duly noted about Tuesday night's meal: 1.) I had a grisly dental day on Monday that involved a crown and four fillings; and 2.) Eggs and I have a tumultuous past. But since my mouth was in no shape to chew food on Tuesday, what could be better than the incredible, edible egg? Because eggs can only be improved with diced veggies and cheese, I did an online search of the two potentially softest items in this week's delivery: turnips and chard. Obviously there is nothing too random for the world wide web, so I wasn't surprised to find a recipe for a turnip and chard frittata. Having all the ingredients at home made this meal a no-brainer, but I should repeat: I have major beef with eggs. Besides the obvious fact that they come from a chicken's arse, they are potential baby chicks and have a strange aftertaste that can only be described as "yangy." I went for years without eating eggs, but pregnancy made me crave them like most women crave pickles. And while they still make me gag a little, it is for reasons beyond my comprehension that I routinely work them into our meal plan.

So I made the frittata. The recipe came from the owner of a fancy French cooking school and naturally I didn't understand how to "ribbon peel" the turnips and the chard never "settled in" to the eggs per the instructions. But the finished product was shockingly tasty and perfectly soft for the battlefield that was my mouth. Indeed, the frittata was so light and sophisticated that I felt like the egg queen herself –– Ms. Julia Child. Don't get me wrong, my internal egg dispute rages on, but I will wave the white flag of surrender for this fancy frittata forevermore.

No comments:

Post a Comment